New investments by Wild Blue Cohort
Members of Wild Blue Cohort, the London-based network of angel investors, have made three new investments, taking the total invested by members of the early stage venture to £1.4m.
A syndicate of Wild Blue members invested in HeadBox, the UK’s first online marketplace for inspiring meeting, off-site and event spaces. The £1.4m fundraise will help accelerate the growth of the company and prepare its export to major cities in the world. Wild Blue invested alongside new investors such as Sir Brian Williamson CBE, former Chairman of Electra Private Equity, and existing investors such as Aaron Simpson, Co-Founder & CEO of Quintessentially Group, and Nick Wheeler, CEO of Charles Tyrwhitt Shirts.
A second syndicate of members have invested in miDrive, the UK startup that is re-inventing learner driving and insurance – making it easier, more affordable, safer. The £2m Series A2 investment round was led by Initial Capital, an investor in seed and early-stage technology companies based in London and Silicon Valley that has played a key role in growing companies like Playfish ($400m sale to EA in 2009).
Finally, Loyalzoo, the digital loyalty card service for small businesses, received a second investment by a member of Wild Blue. The investment was part of a £450,000 overall deal, which included a £250,000 crowdfunding round on the Seedrs equity platform. Loyalzoo is the second company in Wild Blue’s portfolio to receive follow-on funding by members.
These three investments are an important landmark for Wild Blue. They take the amount invested to fast approaching £1.4m – seventeen investments in 14 businesses, since the network started operating less than three years ago. Deepali Nangia, Investment Director, Wild Blue said:
“These three investments are in ambitious ventures, bringing new technology and innovation to familiar markets. Our members were impressed by the quality of their founders and leaders, their vision and keen intention to scale.”
Andrew Needham, CEO of HeadBox: ” The whole process of working with Wild Blue was extremely simple, straightforward and organized. All of the potential investors I met were impressive and, most importantly, really good people. I will definitely be recommending WBC to other entrepreneurs.”
David Barrie, Founder and CEO of Wild Blue said: “This is a landmark moment for Wild Blue, as we progress well past £1m invested and members invest in syndicate, alongside veteran, top-tier private investors and VCs. It is exciting for our members to bring their expertise and finance to bear in support of such inspirational entrepreneurs.”
Notes for Editors:
• Wild Blue Cohort is a syndicate of ‘angel’ investors based in West London. Members invest in early stage companies led by experienced managers targeting big market opportunities. The network has over forty members.
• Wild Blue was started up in 2014 with seed finance from the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, is now self-financing and in 2017 will open an investor-entrepreneur workspace in West London, in partnership with The Collective property company.
• The network was founded by David Barrie, named recently in the ‘Smith and Williamson Power 100’ and ‘Centre for Entrepreneurs/Maserati 100’ for his support for entrepreneurship and innovation in venture finance.
• Deepali Nangia runs the investment business at Wild Blue, is a mentor for Althea-Imperial Women in Tech and founder of Empower, a provider of business support services to female entrepreneurs.
• Members of Wild Blue have extensive experience in early stage and fast growth enterprise and particular expertise in the technology, online and mobile tech, healthcare, food, travel, finance, real estate, education and media sectors.
• Wild Blue is a member of the UK Business Angels Association and abides by its Code of Conduct. The venture does not advise on the merits or risks of investment and is an ‘exempt person’ under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and related orders.
Investment Enquiries: Deepali Nangia – email@example.com
General Enquiries: David Barrie – firstname.lastname@example.org